...

bib - favourite

My little Violet is beginning to show some (not much) interest in food. So far it is a mere flirtation because my baby loves her 'mama milk'. Regardless of whether she actually gets any food in her mouth, or maybe especially because she hardly eats any of the food I give her, she needs some new bibs.

I went through many different kinds of bibs with Stella and my favourite by far was a simple cotton bid, with snaps, and a vinyl-coated polyester backing. It's light, easy to put on, and it can go in the washer and dryer. I bought a couple of these bibs, but the fabric selection left a lot to be desired. And well, I might be a bit hard to please in that department. I love beautiful fabric and have a nice collection of it. So, of course, I needed to try and replicate the favourite bib in better fabric. And I did.

Here's a little tutorial for my golly g bib:
1. Materials - 11"x14" cotton fabric for the front, 11"x14" vinyl-coated polyester fabric for the back, bias binding tape (1/2" or 1/4" wide), and 2 sets of cap snaps.

2. Cut the front and back fabrics for the bib. My bibs are 11" wide by 14" long, with a neck opening 5" wide by 5.5" long.
3. Sandwich front fabric and back fabric together. Pin bias tape around neck opening, making sure that the tape covers the edges of both the front and back fabrics. Sew along the edge of the bias tape and trim.
4. Pin bias tape around the outside of the bib. Leave an extra inch of tape on either side. Sew along the edge of the tape.
5. Fold the extra bias tape to the back, pinching it between a snap, and hammer on snaps. I have two snaps (about 2" apart) on one side in order to adjust the bib size.
And there you have it. My favourite bib.

No comments:

Post a Comment